Support and Exercise Groups
We maintain ongoing contact with the groups to provide support, current information and resources.
The benefits of exercising regularly:
Establishing early exercise habits is an essential part of overall disease management. To maximize the benefits of your exercise program, make sure to incorporate flexibility (stretching) exercises, aerobic activity and resistance training or strengthening exercises.
- Improve gait, balance, tremor, flexibility, grip strength and motor coordination.
- Associated with a better sense of well being, even across stages and severity of the disease.
- Short- and long-term benefits.
Possibly slowing disease progression
- Improved mobility decreases the risk of falls and some other complications of Parkinson’s.
- Practicing movement — physical therapy, occupational therapy, and participating in an exercise program—improves mobility.
- By avoiding complications, you can avoid some of the things that can make Parkinson’s disease more difficult.
The benefits of belonging to a Support Group:
- Providing people with Parkinson’s, their caregivers and families an opportunity to meet in a friendly, supportive setting.
Support from others with similar experiences
- Offering a place to share with others who are experiencing similar difficulties. There is comfort in knowing you are not alone in your struggle.
Access to knowledge
- Access to a variety of local professionals with knowledge of Parkinson’s and related healthcare concerns who may periodically come to meetings.
For more information about programs in your area, feel free to contact the Chapter Chair nearest to you.
Click here for a list of our exercise-programs.
The Prattle is a quarterly newsletter published by Parkinson Society Newfoundland and Labrador offering information on upcoming events & the latest in Parkinson’s news. The printed publication is distributed to members, medical offices and donors across the province.
Parkinson Society Newfoundland and Labrador is committed to collaborating with like-minded organizations to better serve the Parkinson’s community.
Parkinson Society Newfoundland and Labrador (PSNL) has a number of resources and services available for your use, including:
General Information Package:
For access to the following resources and more, please contact the Parkinson NL head office:
Parkinson Information [brochure]
Exercises for People with Parkinson’s [booklet]
Parkinson’s Disease – A Guide for Patients and Caregivers [booklet]
Parkinson’s: How you can be a supportive caregiver [brochure]
Parkinson’s Disease – Understanding and Moving Forward [booklet]
A Guide to the Non-Motor Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease [booklet]
Parkinson’s: How you can get a better night’s sleep [brochure]
Parkinson’s: What you can do to prevent and relieve constipation [brochure]
Parkinson’s Medications: What you need to know! [brochure]
My Parkinson’s Medication Card [card]
Free Lending Library:
Parkinson Society NL offers a wide variety of resources from books to DVDs, that are available to you free of charge. Stop by our St. John’s office to see what may be of interest to you, or view a PDF version of our library inventory here.